Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Rant on Deceit & Gossip ...

Okay you remember me discussing various portions of a unique dream I just had, well I just discovered one portion of it was indeed a prophetic dream. The part that had to deal with a co-worker I don't normally trust. Well without giving you too much details this person has made many enemies over the years and is not well liked by here peers or her subordinates. In fact, so much so that folks are waiting and watching her to make mistakes so that they can take that and run with it. I myself do not have enough time or energy to expend on 'getting back' at folks and I am a big time believer that a great thing called 'karma' will do what it does best! What you put out will come back three fold! So anyway I want to place a quote here before I continue with this stream of thought.

OH WHAT A TANGLE WEB WE WEAVE,
WHEN AT FIRST WE PRACTICE TO DECEIVE!
~ Sir Walter Scott (1808)

You seethe problem with the co-worker who lives by this creed has gotten her self in a situation where folks are purposely going out of their way to get this women in trouble. I know personally many folks who got burnt by this person and all though think this is terrible I come from the school of thought 'that two wrongs don't make it right' either. No we got other folks are weaving webs of deceit and getting innocent folks in trouble and in the line of fire. All to which adds up to a very hostile work environment and bringing down moral by the droves.

Now add in a bad mix of the ugly side of GOSSIP and this makes the the situation even worse. The bad thing about where I work is you have some administrators (my bosses) telling supervisors that they need to be the example and set the bar high and rise above all this negativity and gossip mongers. Well this is good in theory but what happens next is that these some folks who are telling you these things are the first folks to violate their own advice giving. The culture that now exists 'is do what I say not as I do' What happened to the tenant of be the example when they themselves set a bad example. I love what I do but all this makes has me desiring to look for a new line of work all together. Not all folks I work with are bad, in fact there are more good ones then bad but this culture of gossiping has created a sink hole sort of speak that many cant seem to find there way out of. Leaving me with this quote to ponder:

THERE IS SO MUCH GOOD IN THE WORST OF US, AND SO MUCH BAD IN THE BEST OF US, THAT IT BEHOOVES ALL OF US NOT TO TALK ABOUT THE REST OF US.
~ Robert Luis Stevenson

What I see happening at my job are two things the good folks trying real hard to shield up from the negative gossip but it brings folks down … its literally depressing. Secondly, it literally can play havoc on the community that exists at work and literally tears it apart. So now we are experiencing a high overturn rate and folks are only hanging on by a bare thread. Because the economy is so bad folks need a job … even if it is a terrible one. Good folks are entertaining and spreading gossip and the even though the worst of folks have potential to improve we seem to be stuck in this never ending cycle of strife. One of my bosses had made a statement to me yesterday that my passion and enthusiasm for my job seems to be gone … I cried because its true … but with this kind of working environment … go figure! Perhaps the last part of my recent dream is telling me I need to find joy again and this may require a career change!

Bia' Aletheia
Word Count ~ 695 – the 50 words for the quotes = 645

2 comments:

  1. That is sad. Have your boss's thought of having a "meeting" just telling everybody that the gossip and mudslinging needs to stop. I mean I am in Professional communications in school and that is actually part of the teachings of the class is how to stop that type of talk.
    Plus don't you work with patients? If you do don't you think that they should be thought of. If your mood is changing I am sure that the patients will notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very good! I loved the RLS quote!

    ReplyDelete